Pediatric Acupuncture (9780443070327)
Publisher: Churchill Livingstone
This book introduces, explores and clearly explains acupuncture and related techniques used in the treatment of children. The author is a practicing pediatrician with many years' experience in both working with children and as an acupuncture practitioner. The book introduces important concepts of childhood development that integrate conventional theories with the Traditional Chinese Medicine theories presented in the classic texts. It covers a variety of acupuncture techniques, including non-invasive approaches (such as electrical stimulation, laser and magnet therapy) which are particularly helpful with children. Full treatment protocols are given for 22 common pediatric conditions, with a particular emphasis on treatments which are safe, simple and readily accepted by children. In addition, issues of diet and immunization are explored by the author.
- A clear and realistic description is provided for the appropriate use of acupuncture in the treatment of children.
- Conventional child development theories are integrated with the TCM paradigms to help devise more appropriate and effective treatment plans.
- Non-invasive acupuncture-related techniques are offered to assist in treating children who have a fear of needles.
- Treatment plans are provided for 22 common childhood conditions – including asthma and eczema.
- Concerns and issues related to diet and immunization in childhood are explored.
- The author is a practicing pediatrician with many years experience in both working with children and as an acupuncture practitioner.
Customer Reviews (view all) : Average Rating 4
Douglas Eisenstark, Rated: 4
Pediatric Acupuncture is a fine addition to the English language body of Chinese Medicine books. Dr. Loo, who practices both Western and Asian medicine in California, is to be commended for an exciting and stimulating book. Pediatric Acupuncture is not strictly a TCM book and often goes into 5 element theory and aspects of Japanese acupuncture styles. Practitioners may want to invest in a laser, ion pumping chords and a point stimulator after reading this book. It begins with Chinese Medical theory and clear insights into how this applies to children and their particular diseases. Those who are well studied in TCM will find the information familiar yet it is clear enough for those who are approaching the material from the outside. Especially welcome to acupuncturists are her comments about the relationships between the elements/organs, development and emotional states. Dr. Loo easily correlates Western and Asian views and her experience in both approaches shows in this excellent book. If there is a deficit it is that there is little herbal information. Often pediatric acupuncture is seen as an oxymoron, thinking that no child will tolerate the needles. Dr. Loo assures us that this can be done and gives us some amazing photos to prove it. Once again Churchill Livingston has provided a great addition to our ever-growing library of Chinese Medicine books.
People who purchased this also purchased...
Price: £44.00 £48.99
Price: £41.39 £45.99
Price: £9.99 £19.96
Price: £42.69 £55.00
Price: £39.69 £55.00
Price: £31.50 £35.00
Subscribe To CMT
Tung Acupuncture is well known for it's quick and spontaneous results... [more]
Tongue Diagnosis is an important component of holistic diagnosis... [more]