Integrating East Asian Medicine into Contemporary Healthcare (9780702030215)
Publisher: Churchill Livingstone
Traditional East Asian healthcare systems have moved rapidly from the fringes of healthcare systems in the West towards the centre over the past 50 years. This change of status for traditional medicines presents their practitioners with both opportunities and challenges as the focus shifts from one of opposition towards one of integration into biomedically dominated healthcare systems.
Integrating East Asian Medicine into Contemporary Healthcare examines the opportunities and challenges of integrating East Asian medicine into Western healthcare systems from an interdisciplinary perspective. Volker Scheid and Hugh MacPherson bring together contributions from acknowledged experts from a number of different disciplines - including clinical researchers, Chinese Medicine practitioners, historians, medical anthropologists, experts in the social studies of science, technology and medicine -to examine and debate the impact of the evidence-based medicine movement on the ongoing modernization of East Asian medicines. The book considers the following questions:
• What are the values, goals and ethics implicit within traditional East Asian medical practices?
• What claims to effectiveness and safety are made by East Asian medical practices?
• What is at stake in subjecting these medical practices to biomedical models of evaluation?
• What constitutes best practice? How is it to be defined and measured?
• What are the ideologies and politics behind the process of integration of East Asian medical practices into modern health care systems?
• What can we learn from a variety of models of integration into contemporary healthcare?
There are currently no reviews for this book. Be the first!Review this book...
Subscribe To CMT
Friday - Point Selection and point combinations based on differential diseases... [more]
WEBINAR: The human ear is a poweful tool for both diagnosis and treatment... [more]