Chinese Medicine Times - Keeping You Informed
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Slightly Heart Burn is good for Stomach & Spleen Digestion Function

Slightly Heart Burn is good for Stomach & Spleen Digestion Function

By Feng Mei L.Ac. 10/06/2012

In TCM, stomach is Yang earth, spleen is Yin earth, the stomach like moist and hate dry, like cool and hate hot; the spleen like dry and hate damp, like warm and hate cold. So the stomach and spleen are opposite like enemy, from some kind of meaning, they are nature disharmony each other easily, but they all are human body's digestion organs, they must coordinate each other, so the human body can get food nutrition to support whole body. The stomach control the food and water digestion, and the spleen control to transfer the nutrition which from the stomach to supply whole body. From classic five elements theory we know the fire can build earth, so stomach fire can build strong spleen earth, if there are little stomach fire cause heart burn, it will benefit the spleen earth function, because spleen earth like warm and dry, and little fire inside stomach will good for food digestion too. If people because of little heart burn to use anti acid pills and drink a lot of ice water, yes, it will cover the stomach fire, but it may cause damp cold energy to hurt spleen function (because spleen hate damp and cold), so the spleen lose transfer nutrition function, the patient will become diarrhea and fatigue, and it will hurt stomach digestion function also, the anti acid pills will neutralize the stomach acid obstruct the stomach digestion function, the patient will become stomach distension, gas too much, stomach cold pain, even bigger heart burn. Hence, when you feel stomach heat thirsty, please don't drink a lot of ice water, when you feel slightly heart burn , please don't eat anti acid pills, better drink some warm water or room temperature water, have a rest and let it nature become well.

hi feng
    The pathology of heartburn is not a wei (st) problem, it is gan (liv) qi stagnation.

Stomach Fire Pathology

Quote Originally Posted by gary View Post
    hi feng
    The pathology of heartburn is not a wei (st) problem, it is gan (liv) qi stagnation.
    Heart burn is indeed a Stomach problem; i.e. Stomach Fire but it could arisee directly from overconsumption of hot food and too much worry etc, etc. or for example, from Liver Fire Invading Stomach.

Hi AAprescott

fire in the gan invading wei is also pathology of gan, so I have to disagree with you, heartburn is always pathology of gan, this is why ppi's affect the qi of the gan.

Stomach Fire Pathology

Quote Originally Posted by gary View Post
    Hi AAprescott

fire in the gan invading wei is also pathology of gan, so I have to disagree with you, heartburn is always pathology of gan, this is why ppi's affect the qi of the gan.
    What are you basing your disagreement on? A particular school's teaching or a personal opinion?
    There is a basic Five Element principle here also. A pathology can arise in the Element, or be transmitted by Sheng or Ke cycle. In terms of Syndromes two basic aetiologies are commonly given one intrinsic to Stomach, and one transmission from Liver - but I would not consider that comprehensive of all aetiological factors.

Stomach Fire (or Phlegm-Fire)
    Clinical Manifestations
    1. Thirst and dry mouth
    2. Prefers cold drinks
    3. Burning pain in epigastrium
    4. Excessive appetite, always hungry
    5. Vomiting of sour fluid and undigested food.
    a. Vomit has offensive smell.
    6. Foul breath from mouth
    7. Bleeding and swollen gums with ulceration, gingivitis, tooth decay
    8. Stomach heat may easily move to colon giving rise to constipation
    Phlegm-Fire:
    1. heat in the stomach
    2. Thirst with no desire to drink
    3. mucus in stools
    4. mental derangement
    5. insomnia
    T: Red, with Yellow, Greasy coat
    P: Slippery, Rapid

Pathology
    This syndrome is usually due to overeating of rich food, which accumulates heat in the stomach. The heat consumes body fluid and causes the Qi in the Stomach to ascend. So there appears to be burning pain in the epigastrium, thirst, preference for cold drinks and vomiting. Foul breath and gingival ulceration and bleeding due to the Fire element in the Stomach.

Aetiology
    A. Hot, greasy, spicy food, or alcohol damages fluid in Stomach
    B. Liver Fire invades stomach horizontally

its based on experience in clinic, stomach acid is produced from the qi of the gan, therefore excess acid is excess qi of gan ie liver gan stagnation. If TCM is wrong about this I wonder how many other things its wrong about.

What makes you think that TCM says that stomach acid is produced by Liver? I know of no such idea. Stomach is an unsual Fu with characteristics of a Zang.
    -Chapter 8 of the Su Wen does not separate Stomach and Spleen in describing their role
    -Stomach channel although a Yin channel is on the Yin aspect of the body
    -The channels of Stomach and Spleen are right next to each other, a low polarisation of Yin/Yang
    -The Stomach although a Fu organ is described as having a cang-storage function
    That is why Stomach has some syndromes that are normally only found with Zang-Viscera, such as Stomach Qi Xu and Stomach Yin Xu. Stomach has a syndrome of 'Stomach Deficient and Cold' which is tantamount to Yang Deficiency and usually accompanies Spleen Yang Xu.

I did not say ' TCM says that stomach acid is controlled by gan', all I'm saying is that TCM says stomach acid is controlled by stomach, and it is wrong about this, it is gan as I have said. The su wen actually says the wood controls the acid.

Thanks for the clarification - that was indeed what I was trying to clarify.
    Please tell me where the Su Wen says that Wood controls the acid of stomach. All I can think of is that the Su Wen says that Liver corresponds to the acid (sour) flavor, but that is not the same thing.

Stomach acid is an expression of Stomach Fire (Stomach Yang). It can be easily upset by Liver disharmony accross the Ke cycle.

This is very informative post that you have shared. I like your post and thanx for sharing it.