Chinese Medicine Times - Keeping You Informed

Hybrid View

Acupuncture for female infertility compare with western medicine

Acupuncture for female infertility compare with western medicine
    By Feng Mei LAc

Western medicine for female infertility is from construction way to do the treatment, for example: the damage of fallopian tubes, the hormone disorder effect the egg release, cervical condition can not make sperm pass through, Uterus polyps and fibroids, there also are non-organic diseases of female infertility about 20%.

TCM acupuncture treatment for female infertility, is from energy and functional way to do the treatment, for example: in TCM, the kidneys are the organs store the female sex energy, if kidney energy(sex) deficiency will cause infertility, acupuncture can tonify kidney energy. In TCM, female is emotion by liver, if liver Qi(energy) not sooth will cause female emotion disorder and endocrine hormone secrete disorder to infertility, acupuncture can sooth liver Qi and balance endocrine energy system. In TCM, if spleen deficiency will cause phlegm happened, the sticky thing(phlegm) is the main stuff cause of uterus polyps and fibroids, it will make female Qi and Blood circle not go smooth cause stagnation infertility, acupuncture can strong spleen function drain the phlegm down and active Qi and blood circulation. So TCM acupuncture use needles to stimulate the meridian Qi(energy) to change the female sex energy condition become better to promote fertility. By the way the non-organic diseases of female infertility for TCM treatment is specially effective rather than western medicine.

Hi Feng - what a brilliant precis this is. You have managed to explain what generally appears as a whole book full of technical jargon and confusion in very simple and understandable terms. THANK YOU!

Oh! dear! are there only a few of us who are actually monopolising this forum?

I agree that Feng Mei has precised this. I speak as a Five Element practitioner. FE could easily be accused of focusing on a simple system. And it is at heart. But it is not primarily technical based its complexity is in its actual application. Unfortunately if you simplify a technical system you lose something. The more elaborate systems do make things complicated but this complexity is one way of avoiding the mistakes of over-simplification.

I do not disagree with Feng Mei's nutshells. But they are a considerably over-simplification. For example, in TCM terms the Liver and Heart are the CENTRAL component of all mental-emotional troubles The Hun-Shen are the primary focus in this. But this is far from being a complete picture. Every Element has a mental-emotional dimension that has been lost to some degree in the development of modern TCM. Phlegm is primarily a product of the Earth and stored in the Lung. But the root of that can be Liver Qi Stagnation over-acting on Earth. So Liver can be the crucial organ in Phlegm production in an individual. Or it can be a problem of Lung Qi Deficency that over-consumes the mother and so on and so on.

Hm, I think I should have been a little more clear - from a TCM practitioner perspective yes I probably agree that it is not quite as simple as Fen Mei puts it. However, when one is trying to explain to a patient this is very useful.

Fair enough - we all face that challenge. It is a bit of a challenge finding the balance between the simplicity at the heart of Chinese medicine and the sophistication of Chinese medicine. Hawkings in his most recent book is suggesting that Western physics is moving towards a multiple model system. Although of course he does not acknowledge this it is a move towards a more Eastern ideas. This is radically different from the historical Western assumption that if one theory is correct the other is wrong, or they must both be replaced by a new theory that synthesises the two. One thing he says is that where models overlap they should agree. If a simplification of TCM model contradicts Five Element then one needs to re-assess what is missing. I suggest that Hawkings' idea is 'Critical Thinking' from an Eastern perspective.

Hi everyone,
    this caught my attention and I wanted to add my bit to the discussion. I think the main difference between Western treatments and TCM treatments is that in TCM for infertility, and for many other disorder, is how the individuality of the patient is taken into accounts. Western treatments have often "one size fits all" approach, and while this works for a certain percentage of the population it doesn't work for all. In TCM, the causes of infertility are almost unique for each patient. Of course there are some common syndromes that we do see often, such as the ones described by Feng Mei, but even in these there will be something very particular to that patient. Hence the treatment has to be adjusted if is to be truly successful.

I have a good example that I am following at the moment: this patient presented with a long term lung qi deficiency and kidney yang deficiency. Her lungs being constantly obstructed since young age, it lead to a severe disruption of the "acquired qi" production. Without clear qi entering the lung, gathering qi was weak, the nutritive qi could not be produced and years of this going on has lead to the kidney essence failing to replenish too. So basically, her whole body was in a state of hypo-function but this of course wasn't picked up by any western doctors because her organ functions were not failing as such. Her infertility was not a problem of conception but more in keeping the egg, she has had miscarriages with the fetus simply stopping in its development.

So yes to simplify one could say it was just the kidney being deficient. But the way to treat a kidney deficiency can be very varied. In the case of that patient, she's been treated mainly for clearing the lungs, allowing the clear qi to enter. And moxa on ming men, to warm the yang. She's seen a very big improvement in her energy level, it is still a work in progress. But I just thought I would share, simply to illustrate what makes TCM different and so important for patients. Here we've taken into account the whole person, treating the roots, trying to make sense of her own pattern of disharmony. It's simply beautiful :P

Dear Mariaxu: A very good example of the indvidualization of diagnosis and treatment; that even the apparent technical system of differentiation of syndromes is subject to many variable scenarios that need to be applied with clinical skill.

Also, tcm is better than western medicine dealing with stress factor, that along could be the case of disfunction.